Job Corps offers a basic Electrical program and an Electrical Trainee, Pre-Apprentice program through Home Builders Institute (HBI). All training programs are hands-on and are similar in curriculum and requirements.
Students in Electrical are trained in the following subject areas:
- Installing, maintaining, and repairing electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures
- Ensuring that electrical work follows industry codes
- Servicing street lights, intercom systems, or electrical control systems
- Connecting wires to circuit breakers, transformers, or other components
- Following electrical safety
Before entering the program, students must:
- Complete all required activity in the Career Preparation Period, including Career Exploration and Career Success/Workplace Skills.
- Meet basic academic requirements in math and reading.
As a Job Corps student, you will have the opportunity to earn credentials in your training area that may lead to greater employment opportunities, higher wages, and promotions.
While on the job, you will be expected to display the following traits at all times:
- Attention to detail
- Problem-solving skills
Electrical Numbers to Know
National average earning potential for this career
Completion times vary by training area. Check with your admissions advisor.
Centers offering training in this program
District of Columbia
- Cassadaga Job Corps Center
- Delaware Valley Job Corps Center
- Iroquois Job Corps Center
- Oneonta Job Corps Center