A culinary artist wears many hats including chef and cook. They are responsible for not only making the food taste great but making it look fabulous as well.
Students in Culinary Arts are trained in the following subject areas:
- Tools, equipment, and basic techniques used in cooking and baking
- Calculating measurements
- Inspecting and cleaning food preparation areas, such as equipment, work surfaces, and serving areas, to ensure food is handled safely
- Storing and cooking food at the correct temperatures by regulating the temperature of refrigerators, freezers, ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters
- Ensuring the freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock
Before entering the program, students must:
- Complete all required activity in the Career Preparation Period, including Career Exploration and Career Success/Workplace Skills.
- Meet basic academic requirements in math and reading.
As a Job Corps student, you will have the opportunity to earn credentials in your training area that may lead to greater employment opportunities, higher wages, and promotions.
While on the job, you will be expected to display the following traits at all times:
- Attention to detail
- Concern for others
Culinary Arts Numbers to Know
National average earning potential for this career
Completion times vary by training area. Check with your admissions advisor.
Centers offering training in this program
- Inland Empire Job Corps Center
- San Diego Job Corps Center
- San Jose Job Corps Center
- Treasure Island Job Corps Center
District of Columbia
- Earle C. Clements Job Corps Center
- Frenchburg Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center
- Pine Knot Job Corps Center
- Whitney M. Young Jr. Job Corps Center
- Anaconda Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center
- Trapper Creek Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center
- Kittrell Job Corps Center
- Lyndon B. Johnson Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center
- Schenck Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center
- Brooklyn Job Corps Center
- Delaware Valley Job Corps Center
- Glenmont Job Corps Center
- South Bronx Job Corps Center
- Timber Lake Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center
- Wolf Creek Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center