Painters prepare and paint interior and exterior surfaces on residential and commercial properties. Most painters learn their trade on the job or through an apprenticeship.
*Painting is a Pre-Apprenticeship program, which offers students the hands-on training and education needed to qualify for apprenticeships.
Students in Painting are trained in the following subject areas:
- Finishing and protecting drywall
- Removing old paint to prepare surfaces prior to painting
- Mixing colors or oils to obtain desired color or consistency
- Learning proper techniques to use brushes, rollers, and spray guns
- Properly covering and protecting surfaces prior to painting
- Creating and maintaining safe painting environments, including the proper use of ladders, scaffolds, lifts, and fall protection
- Setting up, operating, and tending machines to coat or paint a wide variety of products
- Painting walls, equipment, buildings, and other structural surfaces
Before entering the program, students must:
- Complete all required activity in the Career Preparation Period, including Career Exploration and Career Success/Workplace Skills.
- Meet basic academic requirements in math and reading.
As a Job Corps student, you will have the opportunity to earn credentials in your training area that may lead to greater employment opportunities, higher wages, and promotions.
While on the job, you will be expected to display the following traits at all times:
- Attention to detail
- Physical endurance
- Steady hands and fingers
Painting Numbers to Know
National average earning potential for this career
Completion times vary by training area. Check with your admissions advisor.
Centers offering training in this program
- Excelsior Springs Job Corps Center
- Mingo Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center
- St. Louis Job Corps Center
- Anaconda Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center
- Trapper Creek Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center
- Lyndon B. Johnson Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center
- Schenck Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center
- Angell Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center
- Timber Lake Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center
- Tongue Point Job Corps Center